Talking about and spreading science has always been a passion for me, but our daily lives have shown that being engaged in these activities is crucial for a scientist. I am a Brazilian, a woman/parent in science, and a myrmecologist who uses ants as a way to engage people with science. Diverse audiences and of all ages have some curiosity about these small insects that occur all over the world in the most diverse colors and shapes. We just need to be creative in how to attract this audience!
Highlighted below are several projects that I had the opportunity to be part of.
Hormigas Neotropicales group made a really cool video sharing my story and interests to advertise the lecture I gave in March 2022! Check out how cool it turned out!
34. RAMALHO, M. O.; DECIO, P.; VANICCI, M. S.; GARCIA, E.; JANEI, V. Founder of Mulheres decifrando a Ciência, a coalition for science communication with more than 1K followers on social media. 2020 – current. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mulheresdecifrandoaciencia, Instagram: @Mulheres_decifrando_a_ciencia, Twitter: @mdc_ciencia. Produced 55 articles and posts on Science communication, ranging from general entomology to epidemiology and denying fake news, especially related to COVID-19.
33. Meet new Subject Editors of Myrmecological News! Interview for Myrmecological news Blog. 2021. https://blog.myrmecologicalnews.org/2021/02/18/meet-new-subject-editors-of-myrmecological-news/
32. Science and motherhood with Manuela Ramalho. Podcast interview for Ciência, pra quem? 2021. https://anchor.fm/yasmim-mossioli/episodes/Cincia-e-Maternidade-es5n48/a-a4t4bsn
31. Ant Microbiomes: Researching Microbial Community Functions of Ants with Manuela Ramalho. Podcast interview for Finding Genius. 2021. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axv5wSOsDH8
30. Mulheres Decifrando a Ciência. Rio Claro Facebook group interview (live). 2021. https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=109542604390037&ref=watch_permalink
29. Postdoc Spotlight: Manuela Ramalho Interview. Recipient of Postdoc Achievement Award (2020) – Achievement Award for Excellence in Mentoring. Cornell University, USA. Cornell University. 2020. https://gradschool.cornell.edu/spotlights/postdoc-spotlight-manuela-ramalho/
28. Highlight the main points of the paper Lucky et al. 2020” “Myrmecology, Gender, and Geography: changing demographics of a research community over thirty years” Myrmecological news Blog. 2020.
29. Parents in Science. Podcast interview BugBites. 2020. https://podcastaddict.com/episode/117191230
26. Zumbis e outras histórias horripilantes (Halloween episode). Podcast interview BugBites. 2020. https://podcastaddict.com/episode/114534447
25. Divulgação científica com @mulheres_decifrando_a_ciencia (Instagram). Interview (online) with CaBio at the Federal University of Roraima. 2020. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEsQ28zl0Bk/?igshid=7hxlzbhpf250
24. Inclusión, biodiversidad y equidad. First Ibero-American Symposium on Myrmecology (live). 2020. (Invited moderator).
23. Majority of females only within the colony: challenges of a woman myrmecologist in the covid-19 era. I Ciclo Mirmecológico Universidade Federal da Paraíba (live), PB, Brazil. 2020. (Invited speaker). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaY2R9u17eQ
22. Pint of Science (live). Challenges of a woman and mother scientist in the COVID-19 era. Araras, SP, Brazil. 2020. (Invited speaker) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8hVVeca0L4
21. Panel of mothers and scientists in the pandemic. Field Museum, Chicago IL, USA. 2020. (Invited speaker).
20.Para microbioma de Daceton armigerum, você não é aquilo que come. A Ciência que nós fazemos. Science communication media interview. Facebook group and Instagram (more than 70K followers). 2020.
19. RAMALHO, M. O. Podcast the Daily Ants. 2020. Science communication. https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9kYWlseWFudC5jb20vZmVlZC8&episode=aHR0cDovL2RhaWx5YW50LmNvbS8_cD0xMDU5OQ&hl=pt-BR&ved=2ahUKEwj69Z2GxaTpAhUWOs0KHa3RDb8QieUEegQICxAI&ep=6
18. “Insectapalooza”. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA. 2019 (Volunteer)
17. “Microbiome Hack” mentor. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA. 2019 (Volunteer)
16. “Importance of Insects – Especially Ants”. Public Elementary School Zuchim, Guaraci, SP, Brazil. 2019. (Volunteer)
15.RAMALHO, M. O.; PodCast – BugBites 2018. Science communication https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_kkwln8qKU
14. “Meet a Scientist – DNA Lab” public events (2 times), Field Museum, Chicago, IL, USA. 2018. (Volunteer)
13. “Meet a Scientist –Importance of Ants” public events (2 times), Field Museum, Chicago, IL, USA. 2018. (Volunteer)
12.RAMALHO, M. O.; PEREIRA, M. C.; VIEIRA, A. S.; Carlos, AA; OLIVEIRA, A. A.; Amaral, G; SILVA, T. N.; CAMANOVICI, M. L.; Nogueira, B; ALMEIDA, N; MARCHESIN, T; ROLLON, S.; POIANI, S. B.; Bueno, O.C. First Steps in Science 2017; Theme: The Ants Society. Science communication https://youtu.be/xLth7FT_CSs
11. “First Steps in Science 2017” Public High School to Unesp, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil. 2017.(Volunteer)
10. “Course GAP Junction: Undergraduate to graduate” Unesp, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil. 2016.(Volunteer)
9.VIEIRA, A. S.; RAMALHO, M. O.; BUENO, O. C.; MARCHESIN, T. F. R.; HIRCH, VLS; AMARAL, G; ALMEIDA, N; CARLOS, AA; NOGUEIRA, B; GONÇALVES, JR. First Steps in Science 2016 – The Ants Society: An incredible universe just steps from you! Science communication https://youtu.be/4qXqbDuLeD8
8. “First Steps in Science 2016” Public High School to Unesp, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil. 2016. (Volunteer)
7. “Meet a Scientist” public events (5 times), Field Museum, Chicago, IL, USA. 2015-2018. (Volunteer)
6. “Member’s Night” public events (2 times), Field Museum, Chicago, IL, USA. 2015.(Volunteer)
5. Solorio Academy High School, insect collections tour, Field Museum, Chicago, IL, USA. 2015. (Volunteer)
4.MOREAU, C. S.; RAMALHO, M. O. Romero, E. – Women in Science Field Museum – 2015. Science communication https://youtu.be/VRksGAWC3no
3.SMITH, A.; MOREAU, C. S.; COSTA, F; FISHER, B; ESTEVES, F; LONGINO, J.; KASPARI, M.; WARD, P.; BLANCHARD, B.; NOOTEN, S.; OLSON, T.; RAMALHO, M. O. Ant Course Presents: Why Does Ant Diversity Matter? 2015. Science communication https://youtu.be/lgtZU5xraoI
2. BLANCHARD, B.; MOREAU, C. S.; RAMALHO, M. O.; BOOT, M. Visiting the Ant Lab at the Chicago Field Museum. 2015. Science communication (Interview) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIG3EwpU5w&t=334s
1. “Importance of Insects – Especially Ants”, insect tour (25 times), Unesp Rio Claro, CEIS. 2007-2017. (Volunteer)
1.BUENO, O. C.; RAMALHO, M. O. Film Consulting ‘Meninas Formicida’. 2017.